Wednesday, January 20, 2010

"I want to go through the tunnel and to the other side!!" -Chandler

I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel. Granted, my tunnel really wasn't so long and painful, but it involved more stress than I've really felt in my life in the past year. So regardless of how it compares to other tunnels in this world, I think I'm through the darkest part. All metaphores aside, starting last Friday, I was presented with an opportunity to apply for a volunteer visa. This man who works at the Bible School said that he would support me here (permit wise) and gave me the rundown of the application process... So I thought: stay here with a volunteer permit and be where I can DO more fulfilling things and be with the one I love if nothing else than for a few more months... OR wave the white flag in defeat, admit it's too much work and go home where I know I can make money and fall back into a routine job without a promising future. (ha, that description in itself should say enough about where my heart is.)  Still, is that enough? Can my passion and love for where I am in life be enough to support my whim?

I talked to as many people as I could - whether it was asking their opinion, seeking support, or spreading the word that I need a way to make money here, even if I stay as a volunteer.  It helped, until I got to the point where I'd told my story so much that it just depressed me more and more that I didn't have a solid answer. But here I am today: registered with the foreign police and with 2 volunteer jobs ahead of me, one project with the orphanage brewing, and a suspect tutoring job on the side.  And that's less than a week later.... If I can stay here until June, like I'm hoping at least, who knows what I'll be able to say for myself. That is what I love about this adventure - not knowing how it will end up, who I'll know, and how I'll feel, but I know it will be different from right now. And that is enough. It means growth.  I know it also means dealing with "fork in the road" decisions, but I still, without hesitation, choose the road less traveled.

There are still many steps before I have that visa in my passport, but the process is underway. Besides working this out, I have enjoyed spending time with two American friends I have now - Emily (fulltime 5th grade English teacher here) and Hannah (doing an independent study through her university for the month of January). We just met recently and have a great connection. We already have a long bucket list, and chipping away at it give the days just a little extra something than normal.  Oystein has finished his exam and now he has almost 3 weeks free from school. He doesn't know what to do with himself! I suggested a puzzle, but he wasn't as impressed as I was excited (and serious). 

Today is a sunny day which has already brought about a successful trip to the foreign police, a Norwegian lesson, a yummy omelette, and still has a work out, making chocolate chip cookies (with choc. chips imported from the US!), a delicious dinner, and a visit to an art store in store for it.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm so happy you're staying. Keeping the adventure alive! Proud of you.

    LION HUG

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. A second YAY for staying!

    I also love the puzzle suggestion! That is SOOOO you! I miss your very serious problem solving skills for rhetorical questions!

    ReplyDelete