Thursday, January 14, 2010

Enlightenment

I just finished a very long discussion with Oystein about the Norwegian education system and I thought I'd enlighten y'all as well as to how effective their systems really are. I guess those huge tax dollars really go somewhere...

The drop-out rate is basically zero. He seemed utterly shocked when I told him about the problem in Texas and at Lake Highlands specifically, and all he could muster was "but that's illegal." Yep, tell that to Rick Perry.

They only have 10 years of mandatory education, and you graduate when you're either 16 or 17. [They do the cut off for 1st grade at Jan. 1, not September or whenever states decide to do it.] After that, you choose whether you want an academic path or want to study some trade, if you will. This is the closest equivalent to high school as we know it. They finish when they are 18-19 normally.

In these 3 years, sometimes the schools are SO far away that students literally buy apartments closer to their school, away from home! In his case, the closest high school was about a 40 minute bus ride each way (and if you're remote enough, it could be about 3 hours), and so the second year, he got a loan from the state for an apartment. Anyone else shocked by this?!?! He couldn't believe how stunned I was. But then again, Norwegians learn survival skills such as cooking, baking, and even sewing (!) in school so they are a lot more independent than 16/17 year olds at home I guess. I tried to relate to him how big of a deal it is for some kids to go to college, but it's just not the same.

Of course there is no need to mention the money they get from the government to go to college - the other facts are surprising enough....to me. Granted, they pay it back but it's still about the yearly cost of an average university (price-wise) at home for their entire [3 year] college education. And if I'm not mistaken, the gov. grants them 6 years to finish.

I think that's enough shock for one night...
It's been a good week. I finally got a phone today. If anyone is interested in calling Slovakia - 0904562428. It was a nice, sunny day today too so I got to go on a run up toward the mountains. I've also met quite a few Americans who are here teaching English. It's strange to find so many here, but we enjoy seeing each other occasionally. Of course I like the Slovaks that I meet as well.

Speaking of education - I went to a beginner English class today just to observe, as I have before, and the culture is just so humorous to me! Not like any language class I've ever been in with Americans - or Filipino's. They rescue each other on every question and eeevery time there is a new word (which in this class was basically every word except "I do" or "she doesn't) they all work together to figure out what the word is in Slovak. It's hilarious to observe. I still hope I can teach it soon though. I just have to tone down how much I mumble to myself bc they definitely won't understand that....

1 comment:

  1. Can I go to school in Norway? I can't even afford to apply to schools here.

    lauren

    ReplyDelete