Thursday, January 28, 2010

And now something more related to progress

I taught my first tutoring session yesterday! I joined Emily on a long walk down to the house of two students that she tutors once a week. The family is from Tanzania and moved to Slovakia (maybe within the last year?). One boy is in 5th grade; one in 2nd. They are quite good at English, but their parents want them to improve...or keep up, I'm not quite sure. I spent 45 minutes with the older one and 30 minutes with the younger one - working on spelling, exercises, and reading/answering questions, depending on which child. I didn't expect to teach yesterday; I thought I was just going to see how Emily approaches it, but when the kid handed me his books, I got the hint. 

So far so good. I like the idea of working with these kids, this family. I'm grateful for Emily for passing this on to me, but it seems to work out for the both of us, since it's a lot to add to her full plate.  And of course the progress feels good.

No comments:

Post a Comment