Dear students of any denomination, if you will,
Embrace that life! You have tests to study for, but you have teachers with answers....or at least they should have the ability to help. If nothing else, there are classmates in your situation and you can, if nothing else, and there's something to be said for safety in numbers in stressful or seemingly impossible situations. You get student discounts without having to lie about "forgetting" your ID. You might have to choke down spaghetti-Os some nights, but at least you appreciate a home cooked meal. In school, big problems revolve around looming exams. But after school, there are real world problems - like finances and relationships and decisions.
[And I would like to interject that I realize that even these problems seem trivial to those that people are struggling with in Haiti right now. I have no reason to think my life is harder than theirs, but then again, it's all about perspective - always.]
I realize that there are bigger problems as students also, such as paying for school or applying or making decisions about jobs or grad schools or - if you're lucky, and only in 5th grade - which car you'll be put in for the field trip.... But right now, let me just wallow in my "real world" problems about how to make a living in a country with limited English speakers and a frustrating network of red tape. I'm in a frustrating place where I'd like to blame their communist past or illegal middle eastern immigrants or even my lack of initiative, but the truth is, there is no easy way here. I've done many, many things (I hesitate to say "all the things") that I can in order to get this process rolling, but it may be out of my control now. If everyone had my level of initiative, then it might work. But the thing is - their lives don't revolve around mine, just as mine isn't centered around anyone elses.
I've struggled with selfishness lately. I'm too selfish for a lot of things - such as marriage or children. But I like being selfish with my time and energy. I want to dole it out how I think best for ME; basically doing my best to limit stress. However, I (nor anyone else) can go around being selfish all the time bc we're not the only human on the planet. We need other people, and often, we want them around. Right now, I'm trying to function in this society, where not only do I want certain people as friends or others as colleagues [and one in particular as a partner] but I need them. Seeing how many people have gone out of their way to help me here, makes me want to return the favor somehow. Or at least pass it on. But, with my initiative and their assistance, I don't even know if it's enough....
"Never judge someone; for everyone is fighting a harder battle than you are."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment