Monday, January 25, 2010

English-isms

The past few days, Oystein and I have had light arguments about English words or phrases. I never think about these things, but I just wanted to note them because hearing about my language from a non-native (yet very good) speaker is like thinking outside the box, but without the thinking part.

1) sound asleep - all this time, he thought it meant that you were snoring since people could hear you sleep.
2) accessorize - we had a lengthy disucssion about why this doesn't start with an 'e' like excess. Which lead to questions about "access" or "exaggeration" and a vague conclusion that the 'e' or 'a' sound at the beginning of words is tricky.
3) steak - in congruence with most 'ea' letter combinations, he says this word like "steek" and I didn't have a legit way to tell him that is wrong

What a language.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Alex! I left my blogg at yours so you can practice in Norwegian too :) I know Oystein are having some weeks freetime,say hello and congratulations with the examination :) I am busy singing every day....a little tired ,but it is fun too -http://www.oik.no/.....Hugh from me :)

    ReplyDelete