Friday, March 19, 2010

I did it!!! Part II

I conquered all 984 pages of this epic novel. It took me longer than the scarf, but at least it's not dependent on the seasons. This success story is sadly overshadowed by the reason I had so much time to read lately - I'm in bed - diagnosed with bronchitis.

Which brings me to another story: my first trip to a Slovak doctor. I went to the hospital a couple weeks back as a step to getting my visa. That's another story in itself. I had to get an x-ray of my lungs to check for TB, but that was the least invasive of three tests they did. Back to today: Oystein had been told of an English speaking doctor and so I called him this morning when it felt like my intestines began hurting because of all my coughing. I had a fever Wednesday and have been coughing badly ever since that morning. I woke up Thursday and it felt like someone had scratched my throat with their fingernails. Not the regular sore throat; it was so much worse. I felt like it was bleeding! Yesterday, I felt like I'd been coughing so much that breathing was no longer involuntary and I was going to throw up if I ever got a spare moment. It hurt!

I actually tried to go to work yesterday in Zilina but at first sight of me, the professor sent me home. I was grateful. She also wrote me a note in Slovak to show to the pharmacists to get some throat lozenges and cough syrup...yum. I conceded though and then I fell asleep on a bench by a church in the sun until my ride was ready to go back to Martin. I'm not proud to say how pathetic I've been. Yesterday though, the highlight of my day was a chai latte that Oystein made me. It rivals even those at Eurotazza (my beloved late coffee shop of Fort Worth, Texas).

The doctor was wonderful today! I went right away after I made the phone call and he was quite attentive. Ha - and my favorite "this is why I love Slovak people story" - they didn't take credit cards, so I asked if I could leave my passport or something and go find an ATM. But he waved off that idea and said I didn't have to leave anything, and I could just bring the money on Monday or Tuesday. HA! Would that EVER happen at home??? Then he walked out with me to point me in the direction of the pharmacy.

Between my friend who makes my favorite drink in the world and the trusting doctor, I'm in good hands here.

1 comment: