Monday, December 7, 2009

Job update

Only because people keep asking. I don't really like talking about all the opportunities I have in case they don't work out, but just so you know I am REALLY trying here, I'll tell you what's going on. A few Thursdays ago, I met with Michal, the person in charge of the Bible School here in Martin - from 1-6th grade but also college students. It's connected with the University of Zilina, the town that I went a couple times last week. I went there Monday with Michal to meet with a woman to discuss teaching conversational English to first and second year students next semester. An American couple, Brenda and Larry are here for 2 years volunteering, teaching English to adults both here and in Zilina. I went to Zilina again last Thursday and Friday with them to see what it is they do/how they do it etc. What Larry does on Thursdays is what I would be doing, so I hear. I think it was great to see how he does the classes and the students seem to like it. The woman we met with, Zdenka, told me that they would probably be excited to have me teach them since I'm more their age and they could take me out afterward. haha. It was weird for the dean of the department to support me going out with students. I suppose it's a little different than if I were a professor, but then again, standards are different here anyway.

Friday, I went again to see them both teach a class to faculty of the university. Larry's class was more advanced, but Brenda's class literally worked on the ABC's - that's how much English they knew. And she knows really zero Slovak, so that was also helpful to see. She's a really cute typical 1st grade teacher I'd say - energetic and candid and patient. Perfect for people who she can't communicate with! I really liked visiting with them. Larry is a retired school psychologist of 30 years, so we talked for hours at a time when he had breaks. As I did with Brenda who is just so sweet - a typical American 60 year old to me - talkative and therefore interested in talking.

I liked them a lot and have learned a lot from them already. Through my excursions out there, I have met some Slovaks and one of those days, we even went over to get some coffee with students from Larry's class. The main vibe I get from Slovaks so far is that they all stare at me a lot! I don't know what they are trying to figure out, but I think they know I don't "belong" here.

Other than that opportunity which begins in February, Michal also talked to me about teaching kids at the Bible School some tennis after school during the week! I jumped on that right away! So, I really hope that works out. And, in addition still, another option has presented itself that I won't discuss much, but it still involves teaching English, but this time to children at the Bible School. The hold there is that I should know SOME Slovak at least to be able to communicate with them. We'll see.... Here, the Slovaks are very ambitious. But how I was taught to evaluate programs and observe resources before starting programs is not as valued here. In this community, they form an idea, see an opportunity to develop, and jump for it - something I've witnessed as a struggle to Americans working in that environment.

Right now, I'm enjoying the free time. I may not have a lot of money or resources, but I have time! And that is something that a lot of people can't say. That and I'm really happy :) I found an art store the size of my bed at home, but I bought some supplies to feed that hobby. And my scarf is half way done (at least). And I'm making Christmas cards. And working out. And practicing Norwegian on walks to the store with Vic (who was given another nickname by Brenda last week - Ozzie - which I like bc of our old doggy). So I have projects and goals, little perspective and some promising opportunities. Not bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment