Sunday, December 13, 2009

Crunch time

Not for me though; for everyone I'm friends with. This not being a student thing really makes me feel like I'm missing out on something. I like thinking back to the night before 2 exams in one day; the reward nap afterward before I start studying again. The coffee brewing at 11pm and the study sessions in the library. You just can't beat that - if what you're looking for is stress and exhaustion.
All these people studying so much is so sad! And not just Oystein. And not just his roommates and classmates, but all the Slovaks I've met as well. It's just that time of year. So while Oystein was cramming in every muscle and their function, origin, and insertion point, I was making a gingerbread village. We started Saturday night and as always with us - it was a bit experimental. There's not as much room for experiments in baking, but we snuggled into what room there is. Last night I joined the 'up til after midnight' crew while cutting out shapes by hand (!) for the whole village. I'm quite sure it came out to 6 houses, one shack, a castle and some trees for added scenic beauty. Still I had some dough left over to make special "here's your reward for being done with your test" cookies - a heart and a bone (for anatomy). Tonight we'll be assembling. Now I know why people buy pre cut out houses that only require assembly and decoration.

The weekend was nice. Friday, there was a Norwegian Christmas event with treats, drinks, and songs that are typical of a Nordic Christmas. I even recognized most of the songs from last year. Then Oystein and I met up with some Slovaks to go out to a pub, way later than we planned. Saturday I scurried off to meet more new people - one American and some other Slovak girls. I've heard that the most beautiful girls live here but so far I haven't been impressed. Some girls this weekend and last are starting to help me understand that statistic. They are really nice too and I hope to see them all after the new year. Yesterday as well, I met up with some people I'd met previously [and some new ones] for coffee after their Slovak Lutheran morning church service.
A law that hasn't reached Slovakia yet (or I guess I'll just speak for Martin) - No smoking in bars/restaurants. So now all my stuff smells like smoke. As Oystein says, that is not very becoming. Or maybe that's Angela?

Despite the lack of decorations here, I am definitely in the Christmas spirit. They didn't believe me when I said I ONLY listen to Christmas music from December 1 - 31, but I change it up some to give the boys a break from N'sync, Kenny G, and Maria Carey/Britney Spears' Holiday albums. Ha, Oystein believes that some artists should just stay out of the Christmas CD business. Being an educated music person (I guess that's called a musician), he can't handle 7 different versions of "O Holy Night" so when it's his turn to pick, we end up listening to the classical, instrumental versions. But I must admit, they are very pretty. Watching him listen to music is beautiful in itself. I've never cared about music the way he does (and might not ever), but I admire his devotion to it.

Oh yes, and it finally snowed here!! Saturday I think it was. As shady and foggy as the weather was the first two weeks I was here, it's been great lately. We've been able to see the mountains every day and recently, there is definite snow up there. It just got here this weekend though and today, it remains below freezing. But I'd rather have this - there is sunshine and blue skies! And I'm off to mail Christmas cards..... Let's hope I can communicate "I need a stamp to get these to the USA, please."

2 comments:

  1. Maybe I'm the only one but the following sentence (and mental image) made me laugh a good deal:

    "So while Oystein was cramming in every muscle and their function, origin, and insertion point, I was making a gingerbread village."

    One, because while Oystein is going through hell, you are making edible christmas decorations. And two, usually you would hear of someone making a gingerbread house. Emphasis on the word 'house.' But in true Alex Allin fashion, you are making a whole freaking village.

    Geez, too good, too good. Makes me miss you even more than I though I could. But then makes me so thankful you are doing this blog so I can still get good doses of Alex-isms :)

    Miss you!

    Kerb

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHA!!!

    Kerbs expansion on your statement cracks me up! You and Kerby are a great pair!

    ReplyDelete